Weekly News: February 20-26Posted: February 27, 2011
And here’s the grand unveiling of the new segment!
Or maybe it’s not so grand. I’ve been trying to come up with a name for this for almost a month now, with no luck. Yes, the only reason this wasn’t started earlier was because I couldn’t think up a cool name for it. I wanted to go with Weabnews at first (combination of ‘Weaboo’ and ‘News’), but I figured that might be too offensive for some people.
Anyways, in this weekly segment, I’ll gather Japanese anime and manga related news and plaster abridged versions of them here. However, only news that (I deem) is important will get posted. It’ll be like Fox News, except infinitely more biased! …Actually that might not be physically possible. Oh well.
Also, keep in mind that most of the news for this type of stuff is translated into English, so there could be mistakes in the news articles. That’s why I’ll source each and every one I post, so I get none of the blame if that happens.
( ﾟ∀ﾟ)ｱﾊﾊ八八ﾉヽﾉヽﾉヽﾉ ＼ / ＼/ ＼
- As already mentioned in an earlier post, Shinryaku! Ika Musume is getting a second season! My body is ready ~de geso! [source]
- Voice actress Kaori Nazuka (who voiced characters such as Nunally from Code Geass, Eureka from Eureka Seven, Shizuku from Kampfer, Yui from To LOVE-Ru, and Tsubaki from Soul Eater) is getting married! I’m not sure if a date has been given yet. She says she will continue her job. [source]
- The light novel Zero no Tsukaima, which has sold over 4.5 million copies altogether, is going to end in 2012. Maybe this means it’ll get a final season, just like Shakugan no Shana? One can only hope. [source]
- A third season of Natsume Yuujincho has been announced. I’ve actually never watched this before, but a lot of people seemed happy with the news, so I’m adding it here. [source]
- Diamond’s Gem Awards have recently named Dark Horse as Manga Publisher of the Year! Good for them, they deserve it. [source]
- Fans have made a flash game based on Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica/Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It’s simple, but very fun. I think last time I played I got around 450. Try to beat my score! [source]
- K-ON! is the first anime franchise to sell over 500,000 Blu-Rays. This further cements my opinion that Japan is capable of having absolutely horrendous taste in shows. [source]
- This week’s CD, DVD, and BD rankings/sales and last weeks DVD and BD rankings/sales are out. Bakuman made a shockingly massive amount of sales with it’s OP release, even though the show itself isn’t selling very well. Madoka Magica music is also selling very well, as per usual. [source]
- This week’s manga rankings/sales are out. Fairy Tail and Detective Conan are comfortably at the top, while One Piece is still the best-selling thing in existence. [source]
- The individual releases for Togainu no Chi have been cancelled, and the box set will be released at the end of the year. The supposed reason is “circumstances during production,” but we all know it’s because the show had eye-bleedingly terrible animation. Hopefully these will be fixed for the box release, but the show still isn’t worth buying. [source]
- This week’s American releases of anime and manga are listed in the source. Nothing on the list interests me, except that the first answer arc of the Higurashi manga is getting released. [source]
- Today, it was announced that To LOVE-Ru Darkness is getting an anime adaptation. I really enjoyed the original To LOVE-Ru manga, and I like the Darkness spin-off/sequel even more. Hopefully it doesn’t come out too soon though, because there isn’t much material out for it yet. UPDATE: And THIS is why I cite sources! Turns out the information is false. However, it could just be a secret project. The To LOVE-Ru anime has sold well enough that another season is not out of the question. [source]
- BONUS! Recently, Ryukishi07 (author of Higurashi and Umineko) attended the Fancy Frontier 17 convention in Taiwan, where he planned to give out autographs and possibly sell some goods. However, his popularity was extremely underestimated, and mayhem ensued. Two videos in the source. [source]
And that’s it for this week! As you may have noticed, I only used ANN and MyAnimeList as my news sources, but as I get better at this, I’ll probably branch out to more sites.
Thanks for reading!
UPDATED AT 2/28, 6:03pm